Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sheila’s Heels

I saw an interesting new product in my TRENDCANDY newsletter from TRENDHUNTER this week - convertible stiletto heels which go flat at the push of a button from Sheila’s Wheels.

I can’t say I’m a big fan of Sheila’s Wheels, quite apart from their adverts, I find the whole notion of women-only insurance companies sexist and don’t really know how they get away with it. You can hear the outcry if there was a men-only insurance company. It’s prejudice pure and simple and from what I’ve heard from friends who’ve used similar companies, the only thing that really sets them apart is that they give you a pointless phonecall after you crash, the purpose of which only seems to be to have a wee chat with you and make sure you’re ok and not too shaken up after it. But, I digress…

I actually think this is a good idea and when you look at the statistics the company present
here, it seems an even better idea. But, glaring omissions from the press release that Sheila’s Wheels have put out are where the shoes will be available and how much they will cost. How will they make a success of the product if no-one can find it?

Plus, I’m quite surprised it’s taken a company this long to bring such a product to the mass market. I remember remote control convertible stilettos in Ally McBeal years ago and I’m sure a new designer had designed a similar type of shoe years ago too.

I’m curious to see how well the shoes actually take off, but that will likely be dependent on a number of factors, one of which being whether you can actually find out where to buy them from! How practical a big pink heel will be either is debatable, but perhaps in time more colours and plainer versions will come out. And while these particular shoes are aimed at women drivers, they would also come in very handy after a night out on the town.

I can’t help thinking mind you that if women want to drive in flat shoes they will already just keep a flat pair in their car all the time, but nice idea all the same…

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home